Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Mom Fail

After golf I realized Kinley still had a fever.  It was fairly low but this was day 8 of her fever and it was time to call the doctor and find out what was going on.  In my defense, EVERY TIME I take one of the kids in for a fever it's "just a virus" and "there's nothing we can do" and I get sent home with nothing but a sick kid and a receipt for my $20 copay.  So, I may have waited too long this time.  Anyway, her cough had gradually been getting worse, and I was worried it was something other than just a virus.  When I called to make the appointment, the receptionist told me our pediatrician was on vacation and we could see the physician's assistant.  I was ok with that.  I prefer our pediatrician, but I didn't really have a choice.  

They got us right in when we got there, and then we waited a bit for the PA.  The kids were driving me nuts while we waited, but they always do at the doctor's office.  Are my kids the only ones that want to surf on the rolling doctor's stool?!  Gracious!  Anyway, in came the PA to check out Kinley.  She asked some questions, listened to her chest, looked at her ears and throat, and declared it was viral and would have to run it's course.  Sigh.  She said she did want to test for strep so she swabbed her and took it to strep test waiting area (whatever it's called!).

The natives were growing restless.


About ten minutes later she popped her head back in and said the test was still working, and she wanted to make sure Kinley had had her cough for 8 days and not her fever for 8 days.  I explained no, she's had both for 8 days.  Well, that seemed to concern her and she decided to do a chest x-ray.  Ok, that was unexpected.

Kinley got so many compliments on her sweet demeanor and cooperation while at the doctor's office.  This nurse said that in her three years at this office she's never had such a big helper.  I was quite proud because she really was so sweet. :)


So then back to the room to wait....and wait...and wait.  Apparently, they were having technical difficulties and we left without the results of the chest x-ray and with a prescription for a 5 day antibiotic.  Not a complete loss, but I was a little worried.  I really didn't want to pay for a chest x-ray so I was hoping our insurance would step up. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment