Monday, April 30, 2012

What a Weekend!

I knew this weekend was going to be busy.  But I didn't know how exciting it would be.

It started with a Friday night make up soccer game.  Kinley had fun running around collecting rocks on the field.  Whatever.  She's 3.

We were back at the soccer fields Saturday morning for another game.  I knew my mom was coming since we had a 5k the next day, but my dad showed up too.  I didn't know he was coming, so it was a nice surprise.

Then about 10 minutes into the game I look over and see my brother and his fiance walking up.  What?!  I couldn't remember if I had text Chancey about this game.  What a nice surprise.

Five minutes later, here come my grandparents.  Then my aunt and cousin!  Surprise!!!  I'm turning 30!!!

My family completely surprised me.  My birthday isn't until Thursday and honestly I hadn't given it much thought.  We've been super busy with soccer, preparing for vacation (we leave Friday!  Yay!), and not to mention May 3 is Griffin's Gotcha Day.  Anyway, it was fun to see everyone.  My dad treated everyone to lunch after Kinley's game.


After lunch we went back to our house and had dessert and I opened some gifts.  It was a little strange considering I hadn't celebrated my birthday with my extended family since high school.  Such a nice surprise.

After everyone left Blake, my mom, the kids, and I loaded up and headed downtown to pick up our running packet for the race the next morning.  We did a little last minute shopping, picked up some food, and headed home to watch the first Thunder playoff game.  Thunder up!  Exciting game.  They won.  Yay!

The next morning I was up at 4:30 so we could make the drive back downtown for the race at 6:30.  Twenty-seven thousand people participated in the race so we knew we had to get there, find some parking, and then find our starting point.  I found out a few days before the event that the Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon is a top 12 must run marathon.  My mom and I ran the 5k and the entire event was one of the coolest things I've ever been a part of.  Watching the real runners was fascinating and it made me want to train harder.  Mom and I are planning on running the half marathon next year.


I'd just like to brag on my mom for a moment.  I've never been prouder of her than when she was speeding ahead of me, weaving around people and passing them.  It was so fun watching her push herself past people half her age.  She's awesome!

And here's a picture someone posted on Facebook.  This says it all.


I can't wait to run it next year!




3 comments:

  1. Wow, your mom IS awesome! What a proud daughter moment! lol What a great weekend with family, those are the best! So nice to have family around! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great weekend! Happy early birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So fun! Happy Birthday! Your mom is truly awesome! precious memories

    ReplyDelete