Monday, January 2, 2012

New Year - Old Resolution

Even though everyone knows that resolutions are historically really hard to keep, I still love them.  I think I love them so much because they typically come at the beginning of the year, and being the OCD weirdo that I am, I like to start at the beginning. 

This year my big resolution is to get healthy, fit, and lose 15 lbs.  I know, I know.  This is everyone's resolution, but I'm pretty sure all of us could probably benefit from losing a little weight.  You know what I'm saying?! :) Anyway, last year at this time I set out to lose some weight and I did.  Five lbs before we went to Korea and five lbs in Korea.  When I came home from Korea I felt great!  I was down 10 lbs and probably only had 3-5 more that I wanted to lose. 

And then reality set in and Griffin made me very much aware of what my new schedule was.  The kid didn't sleep the first  three months home, day or night.  Before he came home I always worked out while Kinley took her two hour (or longer) nap.  Being up all night with Griffin made me exhausted during the day, and even if I had the energy to work out I couldn't because Griffin took two 20 minute naps per day.  And most of all, with a newly adopted child at home I just couldn't justify taking time for myself. 

So, what did I do to get through the difficult transition that comes with adding a new child to the mix?  I ate, of course!  I wasn't cooking much, so Blake would pick something up on his way home from work.  Made life easy and FAT!  I've gained 11 lbs since Griffin came home almost 8 months ago.  Blah.

So, my plan is to get back on the treadmill and starting doing Jillian Michael's 30 day shred again.  Cut the junk food and start eating more fruits and veggies and chicken.  Drink LOTS of water.  And let myself have one Whatever-I-Want-Meal per week.  There's gotta be balance, right?

I'm going to be journaling my weight loss and lifestyle change happenings here on my blog.  Accountability is huge for me so I think this blog will be a good way to keep myself in check.

I have some other resolutions for the new year like being more patient with my kids and husband, trying new things with my kids, and saving saving saving so we can entertain the idea of a third kiddo.  All of my resolutions are things I should work on all the time, not just when a new year rolls around.  I know this and I'm working on it.

Look what I bought yesterday! New running shoes!  Yay!
And on sale!
They are the ASICS Gel - Nerve 33 women's running shoes and I really like them so far.
I've decided that for every three pounds I lose, I get to reward myself with some new workout gear.  I usually workout in Blake's old mesh shorts and an old softball t-shirt, so new workout gear is major motivation for me!


What are your resolutions for 2012???

4 comments:

  1. same as yours - lose a little.... BLake and I have our 10 year anniversary coming up this summer, wanna look "hot" for an old married lady! ha!!

    and to read more.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh, I thought I was the only OCD weirdo around here! Really! Kuddos to you April! Can't wait to see your journey to getting fit and feeling great! So envious of the third journey too, can't wait for that also!

    I don't really do resolutions. I don't like to fail, so I really don't do the weight loss ones. My brain resists stuff like that, see? weirdo I tell ya! So I have to approach the year in a different direction. In all seriousness, I can't wait to read more! I love to read my friends blogs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hurray for new shoes!

    I don't like to commit myself to resolutions cause I don't want to fail, but I do have a few goals in mind. Planning to blog them later this week, but healthier eating is definitely one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like to lose more than 15 lbs :)...and I can totally relate to why I can't. But, 2012 is a NEW year and you can do it!

    Can't wait to see all that you accomplish!

    ReplyDelete