Monday, January 9, 2012

Oh, How I Love.....


My crock pot! I'm a happy girl when my crock pot has something in it. It means a no fuss dinner and easy clean up for Blake. :) And I love smelling the yumminess all afternoon and love it even more when Blake walks in and says, "Mmmmm. Something smells good!"

My favorite crock pot recipe right now are these delicious Taco Chicken Bowls. Oh my goodness! This recipe is heavenly, and if you love Mexican food you will totally agree.

{I know the word 'heavenly' is usually used when describing desserts, but I love Mexican food how most people love sweets. It's my thang.}

And to make this even better....this is the easiest recipe ever. Here it is.

1.5 lbs chicken breast (I used less but that's just a personal preference)
1 (16oz) jar of salsa
1 (15oz) can of black beans, drained
1/2 lb (8oz) frozen corn
1 Tbsp chili powder
1/2 Tbsp cumin
1/2 Tbsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp salt
pepper to taste
2 cups dry rice
8 oz shredded cheese
fresh cilantro

Dump everything except the rice, cheese and cilantro in your crock pot and stir. Add 1/4 cup of water and make sure chicken is covered. Cook for 6 hours on high or 8 hours on low.

Near the end of cooking time, cook the rice. When chicken mixture is done, shred chicken with a couple forks. The chicken should be super tender so this will be easy.

In a bowl, layer rice then chicken mixture then cheese and fresh cilantro. You could also add sour cream or anything else you want on top. I mix mine up and chow down!

Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. That sounds scrumptious!! Thanks for the recipe! :)

    PS I love Mexican too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds yummy! I have a similar recipe that I cook in the skillet but yours sounds better. I LOVE my crock pot too!!!! I am always in for a new recipe! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok - you have sold it to me - not too difficult as I LOVE mexican food too:))I'll make it next week!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm!!! Mexican food is my favorite!!!! Thanks for sharing! I will have to try it!

    ReplyDelete